Friday, February 20, 2009

I hate ADHD!!!!


Can I just say that ADHD sucks!!! I do not know what it is like to have it but I do know what it is like to try and parent someone who has it. All of you out there who have an ADHD child know exactly what I am talkin about.

Caity is now 9 years old and has managed to stay off of medication, at the encouragement of her therapist and at my request...I find no need to medicate a child when there are other options. All of the natural solutions have been tried...no sugar, no dyes, lots of sleep, natural supplements, limiting caffeine, giving caffeine...nothing has helped.

So far we have been pretty successful with behavior modification but now we are at a point where there is so much frustration that I feel unfortunately that medication may be our best bet. I have come to see that her inattention and impulsivity is beginning to become a problem...she is loosing friends...hurting herself and hurting others...not because she wants to, just because.

I am also having a hard time figuring out if her learning disability or her ADD is responsible for her serious lag in math skills....she is like a computer that needs to be rebooted every day. She learns something and just when i think she finally understands...the next day it is like we never went over it!!!! The frustration is making me loose my temper with her and I do not want that. I want schoolwork to be fun and enjoyable for her...not something she dreads because she is constantly getting in trouble over it.

I do praise the Lord that she does as well as she does with all of her problems. For someone dealing with PTSD, anxiety, depression, ADHD, and a learning disability she is doing remarkably well...she is a level III gymnast, a competitive cheerleader, reading and spelling on a fifth grade level and very athletic. She is growing up to be a beautiful young lady and I am so thankful to the Lord for letting me be her mommy.

No comments: